The list of clashes between late-night host Stephen Colbert, his show’s parent network, CBS, and the Trump administration continues to grow longer. This time, the Late Show host defied both the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission and his bosses at CBS over an interview with U.S. Senate candidate James Talarico after the network refused to air the conversation on Colbert’s show.
Colbert rips CBS and the Trump administration for pulling the interview
Colbert explained the unusual situation during Monday’s episode of his show.
“You know who is not one of my guests tonight? That’s Texas state Representative James Talarico,” Colbert told his audience. “He was supposed to be here, but we were told in no uncertain terms by our network’s lawyers, who called us directly, that we could not have him on the broadcast. Then I was told in some uncertain terms that, not only could I not have him on, I could not mention me not having him on,” Colbert explained. “And because my network clearly doesn’t want us to talk about this, let’s talk about this.”
As Colbert elaborated, CBS’ decision not to air his interview with Talarico came as the FCC threatened to crack down on talk shows using the equal time rule.
“It’s an old FCC rule that applies only to radio and broadcast television, not cable or streaming, that says if a show has a candidate on during an election, they have to have all that candidates’ opponents on as well,” Colbert explained.
Even though talk shows have generally been exempt from the rule, FCC Chair Brendan Carr indicated earlier this year that he might end the talk show exception; even though that hasn’t yet happened, the threat appears to have been enough to convince CBS not to air the interview. Colbert mocked the decision, noting that he wasn’t sure if he could even show a picture of Talarico on the show, instead showing a picture of a different man, “a stock photo we found when we Googled ‘not James Talarico.’”
Trump and Republicans fight the news media and Democrats ahead of the midterm elections
The move to pull Colbert’s interview with Talarico from airing on his show comes as President Donald Trump has taken a hostile approach toward media outlets, using lawsuits and threats of federal action against outlets that he thinks cover him and other conservatives negatively. Colbert’s show will soon end, having been cancelled last year in a move that many interpreted as CBS attempting to appeal to Trump. The FCC under Carr, meanwhile, has taken action against other talk shows. Carr’s threat may have influenced ABC to temporarily suspend late-night host Jimmy Kimmel last year over remarks about conservatives’ reaction to the murder of right-wing activist Charlie Kirk.
The decision to pull the Talarico interview, meanwhile, comes as the candidate engages in a heated and sometimes contentious primary campaign against Rep. Jasmine Crockett, D-Texas, with the winner going on to attempt to replace longtime Republican Sen. John Cornyn.
Colbert’s interview with Talarico was posted online, and clips are circulating on social media.
“If people are watching this right now, it’s ’cause they found us online.” During the interview with Talarico, Colbert noted that the FCC threatened to take action against The View when that show had Talarico as a guest. “I think that Donald Trump is worried that we’re about to flip Texas,” Talarico said in response to the Trump administration’s scrutiny over his media appearances.
Since returning to the White House, Trump has used the federal government’s power to go after political foes and silence critical voices. As Republicans remain vulnerable in this year’s midterm elections, expect the administration to ramp up its efforts to sway news coverage and influence the vote, and expect critics like Colbert to speak up against what they see as improper attempts at censorship by the government and capitulation by media outlets.
The post Stephen Colbert’s Pulled James Talarico Interview Leads To Host Calling Out CBS, Accuses Trump Admin Of Censorship appeared first on Blavity.